The Verification Process
Your required Verification Forms are listed in Academica under "Student Resources."
Verification is a process to confirm the accuracy the information you provided on the FAFSA.
- Verification selection may be random or may be required if your FAFSA data was incomplete, estimated or inconsistent.
- The U.S. Department of Education selects some students for the verification process. We will select others if we find conflicting information.
- If you are selected for verification, the process must be completed before aid can be applied to your student account.
Check your WSU email regularly for important correspondence.
When verifying your FAFSA, we may be required to review your federal tax returns.
To document your tax return:
- Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to transfer tax data to your FAFSA.
- Request an IRS Tax Transcript.
IRS data retrieval tool
If you did not use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool when you filed your FAFSA, you may still do so.
- Log on at fafsa.gov and click "Make FAFSA Corrections."
- In the FAFSA's Financial Information section, click "Link to IRS."
- On the IRS website, fill out the form and click "Transfer my tax information into the FAFSA."
Note: Tax information filed electronically within the last two weeks or submitted by mail within the last eight may not be available.
IRS tax transcript
If you are selected for income verification of your FAFSA and are unable to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, you must submit an official IRS Tax Return Transcript.
- Include your student ID number on your tax transcript.
- If you are applying for aid at other schools, make a copy of your tax transcript for your records — we will not keep paper copies of any documents and the IRS will only accommodate one request.
- If W-2s are requested and you are self-employed, submit a signed statement indicating this is the reason a W-2 is not available.
For the 2016-17 academic year, you are strongly encouraged to submit all requested documentation no later than June 30, 2016, in order to receive a timely award with all possible funding.
The verification review process can range from two to six weeks. Submit copies of the requested documentation within 14 business days of the request.
The last date to submit verification documents is 30 days after the last day of the semester or your last day of enrollment in the academic year, whichever is earlier.
Federal loan applicants: WSU requires verification to occur before determining eligibility for student loans. A federal loan application cannot be originated for a period of enrollment that has already passed.
Note: Failure to submit all requested documentation will result in the forfeiture of your financial aid eligibility.