Wayne State University

Aim Higher

Frequently Asked Questions

Applying for Financial Aid
Types of Financial Aid
Accepting Your Award
Keeping Your Award
Non-US Citizen Students


Applying for Financial Aid

How do I apply for financial aid?
Apply for financial aid each academic year by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Include the WSU Law School federal school code, E00435, on the FAFSA at www.fafsa.ed.gov.

When do I apply for financial aid?
The earliest that you can apply is October 1, for the upcoming academic year that includes the fall, winter, and subsequent summer semester.

Do I have to be admitted to WSU Law School before I apply for financial aid?
No. You do not have to be admitted to the university before you apply for financial aid. Before you can receive any financial aid award, you must be admitted to a degree or certificate program.

Is there a financial aid deadline for law students?
There is not a financial aid deadline for WSU Law School students. However, applying early (January and February) will maximize the amount of available aid we may be able to offer you.

What is Wayne State University Law School federal school code for the FAFSA application?
The WSU Law School federal school code is E00435.

Do I have to include parental information with my financial aid application?
No, parental information is not required for students admitted to the Law School.

What if I don't have copies of my tax returns for the relevant years?
You can request a transcript from the IRS online.  

Am I required to apply for financial aid each year?
Yes, in order to be considered for financial aid you must file a FAFSA every year.

Types of Financial Aid

What types of financial aid can I receive?
There are four main types of financial aid: 1) scholarships, money that does not have to be repaid, 2) college work-study employment, 3) federal loans including Perkins, unsubsidized Direct, and Grad PLUS loans, and 4) alternative loans, which are funded by outside lenders.

Do I qualify for a Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver?
This program is for members of US federally recognized tribes. In order to be eligible, you must meet the following criteria:

For more information on this and other programs, visit the websites below:

How do I apply my Michigan Education Saving Program (MESP) funds to my tuition?
To have MESP funds sent directly to Wayne State University, download the Withdrawal Request Form and print the following address in Part 4, Payment Information:

Wayne State University
P.O. Box 02788
Detroit, MI 48202 

How do I apply my Michigan Education Trust Plan (MET) funds to my tuition?
Select “Using Met Benefits” in the column on the left side of the MET site’s screen for instructions on withdrawals and payments to Wayne State University. 

When will I receive my award letter?
We begin processing financial aid requests in March. You must be admitted to the Law School and your financial aid file must be complete before we can process your request.

Are there online tools and information to help me understand my financial aid and assist me in managing my finances?
Yes. On the StudentLoans.gov site select Financial Awareness Counseling under the Tools and Resources Tab. 

Does the financial aid office recommend any alternative loan lenders? 

You may borrow from the lender of your choice. Alternative loans generally have a higher variable interest rate than Federal loans, which have a fixed interest rate. We encourage you to exhaust all federal loan options before borrowing an alternative loan.


Do you offer any scholarships?
Scholarships and fellowships specifically for law school students are described on the Wayne Law website.

How do I apply for merit-based scholarships?
All admitted applicants will be considered for merit-based aid, and no separate application is required. New students with additional questions about merit aid, should contact the Law School Admissions Office at (313) 577-3937. Current students should contact the Law School Dean of Students Office at (313) 577-3997.

Where can I find information on outside scholarships?
The WSU Law School Dean of Students Office maintains a listing of scholarships that are available to our students and posts new scholarship opportunities on the Law Student Listserv. In addition, information about outside awards and other resources are listed on the Wayne Law website. 

Why was my loan reduced when I received my scholarship award?
Federal regulations and university policy require the Law School Financial Aid Office to consider scholarships as a financial resource in determining financial need. A scholarship award may reduce any loan eligibility you may have.

Accepting Your Award

How will I be notified of my award?
The WSU Law School Office of Student Financial Aid uses the WSU email system to notify students of any outstanding requirements and award offers. All students should activate their WSU email as soon as they receive their access ID from the Admissions Office.

Email will direct you to WSU Academica to review your status and accept your awards. You will not receive award letters through the mail.

How do I accept my award?
Financial aid awards must be accepted or declined on WSU Academica. If you are accepting a loan award, additional requirements must be met. You must complete one-time loan counseling for Federal Perkins, Federal Stafford, or Federal Graduate PLUS loans. You must also sign loan promissory notes. See our loan page for more information.

What is a consortium agreement?
A consortium agreement is requisite to your attendance at another law school as a guest student. A consortium agreement establishes that the "home" institution (Wayne State University Law School) considers you to be enrolled in an eligible program and accepts the credits earned at the "host" institution for credit towards the educational program at the home school. The agreement further specifies that WSU Law School will be responsible for awarding and disbursing your financial aid.

If you are interested in attending another law school as a guest student, download and follow the instructions on the Consortium Agreement form.

Keeping Your Award

What happens to my financial aid if I withdraw from classes?
If you withdraw from all classes during a semester, you may be required to repay a portion of your financial aid. The conditions under which repayment is required are stated in the Return of Title IV Policy. The Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA) strongly encourages you to discuss with a Financial Aid Administrator the effect withdrawing from all classes will have on your financial aid before you implement the change.


What is the cost of Law School tuition?
Tuition rates for the current academic year are available, but rates for next year will not be available until the Wayne State University Board of Governors meet in late July.

When is tuition due?
Fall tuition is due in late August; winter tuition is due in early January and summer tuition is due in early May. Financial aid recipients must pay any difference between their awards and their tuition assessment by the end of the first week of classes in order to avoid a late payment fee.

What forms of payment are acceptable?
Wayne State University accepts cash, check, and online payments. For further information, visit the Cashiers’ Office Website.


When will my financial aid be applied?
Typically, each of your financial aid sources (scholarships and loans) will be disbursed to your account the week before classes begin each semester for which you are enrolled. Your financial aid will be applied directly to your student account, and any excess funds will be refunded directly to you.

When will I receive my financial aid refund?
Financial Aid Refunds are released within 14 days of disbursement.

How will I receive my refund?
The fastest, most convenient way to receive your refund is by direct deposit. We strongly encourage you to set up direct deposit with the Bursar Office by completing the direct deposit authorization form on Academica. If you do not sign up for direct deposit, your refund will be mailed to the current address that is listed in Academica.

Non-U.S. Citizen Students

What types of financial aid are available for non-U.S. citizen students?
There are scholarships and fellowships awarded through the Law School that do not include citizenship or permanent resident status as a criterion.

Information about financial aid sources outside of WSU for international and Canadian students is available at www.edupass.org and at https://www.myglobaled.com/InternationalStudentLoans/index.html